Skip to main content

This attack happened about 25 years ago. I believe I was a sophomore at the time. I was coming back from school (which coincidentally shared a name with me) and I had an option of either taking Zaferanieh St. or Pesian St. As it was I used to take Zaferanieh going to school but Pesian coming back. This particular day as I took Pesian St. I was actually on the left side of it even though I would gradually have to make a right on one of the side streets. I arrived at the intersection of a side street which had a yellow public phone booth situated there. I had actually utilized this phone booth many times when making crank calls to people I knew or girls whose numbers had been shared with everyone in school. The phone booth had many of its windows broken out and one could easily hear the conversation taking place inside. 


This particular day an elder woman was inside (I would estimate maybe in her late 40s or early 50s) and if I’m not mistaken was wearing a black chador. Based on what I could overhear she seemed to be talking to her daughter about everyday life. I quickly reviewed my options and determined the first thing I needed to do was to keep a safe distance from the phone booth so as not to arouse her suspicion. I crossed over to the other side of the street and surveyed the area. The most reasonable thing to do was after my assault to escape into the actual street, however, while the safest option, it would take me out of my way and I would have to go some extra distance to come back home. The next best option was to cross back to this side of the street after the attack and escape into another side street. This one was not directly in front of the phone booth so for a short distance I would actually be on the main street which would increase my chances of getting caught. Not to mention I would have to hope that at that particular time there were no cars preventing me from crossing. I decided to take my chances with this plan B and continued scoping out the scene. At times the street would be empty of cars but there were too many pedestrians around. At other times the pedestrians would be gone yet there was too much traffic congestion. Finally after waiting long enough I saw my opening. Even until the last moment I felt some hesitation on whether I actually wanted to do this or not but I told myself it had to be done. I crossed the street, running towards the phone booth with my eyes firmly fixed on the top missing window. As I ran I kept telling myself to be careful not to trip over any rocks or the sewer and for a split second I thought I should have checked to make sure my shoelaces were not untied. I finally got to the phone booth and in an attempt not to startle her for the unrelated reason of banging into the phone booth I slightly slowed down. Her side was towards the missing glass so she never even saw me approaching. Once I was there I quickly stuck my head through the window and with all my might I screamed, “GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZ”. I then quickly crossed as I spotted a car approaching in the distance, yet too far to stop me. A few people in the baghali glanced over, sensing something had happened, but not quite sure what. I safely made it to the other side street and continued running. I didn’t stop until I reached its end, coming out next to the mosque and noonvayi . Once I realized I had made a clean escape I slowed down and walked the rest of the way home.
Word for word this is a true story. I had kept this to myself for the past 25 years but finally decided to share it. So as you are reading this, if you were that woman that I ambushed, or her daughter on the phone who undoubtedly heard me, I’m sorry and I promise not to do this again for the next 2 weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At 12:00 PM on Saturday, October 28, 2023, in honor of Cyrus the Great Day, you are invited to our unveiling of a monumental statue of Cyrus the Great at the Millennium Gate dedicated to liberty, justice and peace. Cyrus the Great, founder of the Achaemenid empire, upon liberating Babylon, freed the slaves, established racial equality and rights for women, declared that all people had the right to choose their own religion and returned their various gods to their shrines. He also helped the Jews build The Second Temple. According to the Book of Isaiah, Cyrus was anointed by God as a messiah for these actions, the only non-Jewish figure to be revered in this capacity. Iranian and Jewish peoples share an ancient bond of friendship that modern Islamic fanaticism has tried (and failed) to destroy. Remembering the past is a powerful perspective for shaping the future; one where diverse peoples and cultures live together in freedom and harmony.  Cyrus the Great’s decrees wer
Mrs. Smith's birthday was right around the corner but with Mr. Smith losing his job money was tight. Everyone wanted to buy a perfect gift for her but with her being the only breadwinner they couldn't ask her for money to buy her own present. The family debated what to do and finally arrived at a solution. On the morning of her birthday, everyone gathered around her bed as she woke up. They passed a shoebox forward that was decorated with drawings and flashy colors. Mrs. Smith opened the shoebox and peered inside. Multiple strips of paper were there and one by one she picked them up and began reading them. "When times are good and when they’re bad, you’re the best wife I could ever have. From our first date, I knew that I was going to spend the rest of my life with you. Glad to know I was right. When you blow out your candles and make wishes, I hope that they all come true. Happy birthday, sweetheart. -John" "Mothers are the greatest gift that anyo
The Iron Sheik, a standout Greco-Roman wrestler from Iran who gained global fame in professional wrestling with his 1980s rivalries against the likes of Hulk Hogan, died Wednesday at the age of 81, according to his official Twitter account. Sheik, whose real name was Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri, was a former WWF World Heavyweight champion and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005. As a hated heel, he had legendary battles in the 1980s against Hogan, Bob Backlund and Sgt. Slaughter. Vaziri beat Backlund for the WWF title in December 1983, and, one month later, Hogan defeated Vaziri in front of more than 20,000 at New York's Madison Square Garden to win the belt for the first time. The match helped catapult Hulkamania into a phenomenon, leading into the first WrestleMania one year later. "With his larger than life persona, incredible charisma, and unparalleled in-ring skills, he captivated audiences around the globe," said the statement from his Twitter