Skip to main content

“You know what Thomas, if you were really looking for money you should have sued that bastard who messed you up like this.  Sued him for everything that he has.  You would be living a comfortable life and you could get your face fixed.”

“Oh there’s nothing wrong with my face.  In fact sometimes when I think about it I think it’s pretty cool.  I mean it’s always a conversation topic.  Everyone always wants to know what happened.  This way I always have at least one interesting story for everybody.  It’s pretty awesome.”

“Pretty awesome.  You are insane.  Look at you.  You’re a freak.”  Kurt continued staring at Thomas’s disfigured features.  “You’re a freak.”

“Well, I don’t see it that way.  Hey you know, because of my face I actually was able to get this girl’s number the other day.  I met her at the bus stop.  After I told her about my accident we started chatting and she ended up giving me her number.”

“You are so full of crap.”

“No seriously.  Her name was Jenny.  I think I still have the piece of paper she wrote her number on.”  Thomas reached in his pocket and along with a handful of coins pulled out a bus transfer with a name and number on the back.  “Voila,” he triumphantly said.


Kurt looked at the paper and smiled.  “Is this for real?”

“Yeah totally.  She wrote it herself and told me not to lose it.”

“So let me get this straight,” Kurt started.  A short-haired brunette wearing a dress two sizes too small sat at the bar next to them and ordered a sombrero which was delivered to her in record speed.  There was something odd about her, Kurt thought.  It wasn’t that she was attractive – or unattractive, but rather she just had an interesting look that made one want to continuously stare at her.  It was almost as if she had been sculpted with the basics yet no one had bothered to add the finishing touches to her face.  She took a sip from her drink, looked in the direction of Kurt and Thomas and said, “Mmmm.”

“You met this girl...”

“Yes.”

“Mmmm.”

“…and she said her name is Jenny…”

“Yes.”

“Mmmm.”

“…and she gave you her number…”

“Yes.”

“Mmmm.”

“…and she told you not to lose it…”

“Yes.”

“Mmmm.”

“…and her number is 867-5309.”

“Yes.”

“Mmmm.”

Whether it was from the constant mmmm’s or the obvious prank that Thomas had fallen victim to, Kurt decided he had had enough and needed to unleash his frustration.  He turned to the brunette and practically screamed in her face, “Would you shut the hell up?  We’re trying to have a conversation here.  Must you be so annoying?”

Thomas locked eyes with the brunette and extended his hand.  “Hi, I’m Thomas.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My parents, brother, and I left Iran in 1980, shortly after the revolution. After a brief stay in Italy, we packed all our belongings once again and headed west to the exotic and the unknown: Vancouver. We had recently been accepted as landed immigrants, meaning Canada graciously opened its doors and we gratefully accepted; we arrived at Vancouver International Airport on my 10th birthday, three suitcases and one sewing machine in tow. After respectful but intense questioning at immigration, we were dropped off at a hotel on Robson Street, which was then still a couple years shy of becoming the fashionable tourist hub it is today. We were jetlagged, culture shocked, and hungry, so that first night, my father and brother courageously ventured out into the wild in search of provisions. I fell asleep before they returned. The next morning, I woke up at 5 a.m. and ravenously feasted on a cold Quarter Pounder with cheese and limp French fries that had been left by my beds...
One day I took the minibus back from school. It was completely packed yet I somehow managed to squeeze myself in. I knew sooner or later some people would get off and per the unwritten rule of busses and minibuses everyone would gradually move towards the end of the bus and thus save me from getting crushed against the door. We had only travelled a short distance when the minibus stopped to let some passengers off. Another passenger and I stepped down to allow them to pass and as we stood there the passenger suddenly exclaimed, “What happened to my wallet? Did someone just steal it?” I wasn’t sure if he was serious or just making a not-so-comical scene about not identifying which pocket his wallet was in, however, it soon became apparent that his wallet was indeed missing. Initially I briefly considered the possibility that he might have suspected me as the pickpocket and thus directed the earlier conversation towards me. Once we were back on the bus though he repeated his commen...
Has anyone ever danced on the ceiling?