Skip to main content

My introduction to the 80s was a McDonalds calendar that we got in December of 1978. For each month it had a coded phrase that you could read if you used the decoder tool. For December, with the year coming to a close, it included a message that said "See you in 1980". I might be confusing this with a different calendar because looking at pictures online of the McDonalds calendar I don't see it on the December page. Or perhaps it was on a different page of it.


My last memory in the 80s was approximately November 20th, 1989.  As we sat in chemistry class waiting for the professor to arrive, I began talking to Arash, a classmate from high school and an equally passionate soccer fan. We went over the games that were scheduled the day before and discussed possible outcomes and the subsequent impact on World Cup qualification. He asked me if the US had made it and I told him they had had a game with Trinidad and Tobago that would determine their fate. I also (incorrectly) added that even a tie would be sufficient for them to advance. We ended the conversation with Arash stating, “I think last night was the end of the qualification games.”


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My parents, brother, and I left Iran in 1980, shortly after the revolution. After a brief stay in Italy, we packed all our belongings once again and headed west to the exotic and the unknown: Vancouver. We had recently been accepted as landed immigrants, meaning Canada graciously opened its doors and we gratefully accepted; we arrived at Vancouver International Airport on my 10th birthday, three suitcases and one sewing machine in tow. After respectful but intense questioning at immigration, we were dropped off at a hotel on Robson Street, which was then still a couple years shy of becoming the fashionable tourist hub it is today. We were jetlagged, culture shocked, and hungry, so that first night, my father and brother courageously ventured out into the wild in search of provisions. I fell asleep before they returned. The next morning, I woke up at 5 a.m. and ravenously feasted on a cold Quarter Pounder with cheese and limp French fries that had been left by my beds...
One day I took the minibus back from school. It was completely packed yet I somehow managed to squeeze myself in. I knew sooner or later some people would get off and per the unwritten rule of busses and minibuses everyone would gradually move towards the end of the bus and thus save me from getting crushed against the door. We had only travelled a short distance when the minibus stopped to let some passengers off. Another passenger and I stepped down to allow them to pass and as we stood there the passenger suddenly exclaimed, “What happened to my wallet? Did someone just steal it?” I wasn’t sure if he was serious or just making a not-so-comical scene about not identifying which pocket his wallet was in, however, it soon became apparent that his wallet was indeed missing. Initially I briefly considered the possibility that he might have suspected me as the pickpocket and thus directed the earlier conversation towards me. Once we were back on the bus though he repeated his commen...
Has anyone ever danced on the ceiling?