Skip to main content

Sahar Delijani is an Iranian author. Her internationally acclaimed debut novel, Children of the Jacaranda Tree, has been translated into 32 languages and published in more than 75 countries. She was born in Evin Prison in Tehran, while both her parents were detained as leftist political activists. Delijani, her older brother and her cousin were raised by her grandparents and aunt until their parents' release.


"I was born in Iran in 1983, four years after the revolution. Both my parents were secular, leftist political activists. In 1983, my parents were arrested, along with my uncles and aunt. My mother was pregnant with me when she was taken. I was born in Evin Prison, in a hospital affiliated with it. My mother kept me with her for about a month before I was handed to my grandparents. They raised me, my 2-year-old brother, Rouzbeh, and our cousin, Siavash—who was also born in prison—until our parents were released. 

" I think that there is probably no difference, from the book or reader’s perspective, between me having had those experiences personally or sort of coming up with a story to tell. You always have kind of a structure; a foundation and you start from that. If was definitely difficult emotionally because some of the characters were people who were very close to me. Even I was fictionalizing things, although I knew about whom I was talking about. I was talking about my mother and I couldn’t pretend that I’m not. There were many moments when I needed a break or to stop for a while, to keep a distance from the characters, from the book, because I didn’t want to get too sentimental. There were many up and down moments.

"I used to go back to Iran very often before the book, now I decided to wait and see how the situation evolves. Last time I went to Iran it was in 2011. I just party! I visit all of my friends, my family; I go from one house to another. Sometimes I do some sight seeing but, you know, there are so many people I want to meet. I always tell everyone: please, if you go to Iran, make sure you go to those underground events. Because, you see, it’s an exciting, unusual experience."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My parents, brother, and I left Iran in 1980, shortly after the revolution. After a brief stay in Italy, we packed all our belongings once again and headed west to the exotic and the unknown: Vancouver. We had recently been accepted as landed immigrants, meaning Canada graciously opened its doors and we gratefully accepted; we arrived at Vancouver International Airport on my 10th birthday, three suitcases and one sewing machine in tow. After respectful but intense questioning at immigration, we were dropped off at a hotel on Robson Street, which was then still a couple years shy of becoming the fashionable tourist hub it is today. We were jetlagged, culture shocked, and hungry, so that first night, my father and brother courageously ventured out into the wild in search of provisions. I fell asleep before they returned. The next morning, I woke up at 5 a.m. and ravenously feasted on a cold Quarter Pounder with cheese and limp French fries that had been left by my beds...
One day I took the minibus back from school. It was completely packed yet I somehow managed to squeeze myself in. I knew sooner or later some people would get off and per the unwritten rule of busses and minibuses everyone would gradually move towards the end of the bus and thus save me from getting crushed against the door. We had only travelled a short distance when the minibus stopped to let some passengers off. Another passenger and I stepped down to allow them to pass and as we stood there the passenger suddenly exclaimed, “What happened to my wallet? Did someone just steal it?” I wasn’t sure if he was serious or just making a not-so-comical scene about not identifying which pocket his wallet was in, however, it soon became apparent that his wallet was indeed missing. Initially I briefly considered the possibility that he might have suspected me as the pickpocket and thus directed the earlier conversation towards me. Once we were back on the bus though he repeated his commen...
Has anyone ever danced on the ceiling?