Skip to main content

Parisa Tashakori is an award-winning Iranian graphic designer and educator specializing in branding design and visual communication. Tashakori has collaborated with ad agencies, publishers, art centers, and design festivals worldwide, providing visual branding, workshops, and lectures. While Tashakori has applied her skills across various industries, her true passion lies in projects related to art and culture, as well as those with a social and environmental focus.


"They were arresting everyone and anyone", she explained, for politics, hair covering, whatever excuse they could find. She did not see her reason of arrest or her activism as extraordinary, but she exhibited signs that her behavior was outside of social norms. When she returned home from college, her family was shocked at how political she had become. Parisa explained the circumstances of her arrest and torture in mechanical terms, as if she were explaining a historical event that happened to other people. She laughs about a pair of shoes that she did not want to part with when she was arrested. These shoes seemed important to Parisa--she was somehow able to leave the prison with them! I wonder what they represented to her, perhaps dignity or some form of normalcy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My parents, brother, and I left Iran in 1980, shortly after the revolution. After a brief stay in Italy, we packed all our belongings once again and headed west to the exotic and the unknown: Vancouver. We had recently been accepted as landed immigrants, meaning Canada graciously opened its doors and we gratefully accepted; we arrived at Vancouver International Airport on my 10th birthday, three suitcases and one sewing machine in tow. After respectful but intense questioning at immigration, we were dropped off at a hotel on Robson Street, which was then still a couple years shy of becoming the fashionable tourist hub it is today. We were jetlagged, culture shocked, and hungry, so that first night, my father and brother courageously ventured out into the wild in search of provisions. I fell asleep before they returned. The next morning, I woke up at 5 a.m. and ravenously feasted on a cold Quarter Pounder with cheese and limp French fries that had been left by my beds...
One day I took the minibus back from school. It was completely packed yet I somehow managed to squeeze myself in. I knew sooner or later some people would get off and per the unwritten rule of busses and minibuses everyone would gradually move towards the end of the bus and thus save me from getting crushed against the door. We had only travelled a short distance when the minibus stopped to let some passengers off. Another passenger and I stepped down to allow them to pass and as we stood there the passenger suddenly exclaimed, “What happened to my wallet? Did someone just steal it?” I wasn’t sure if he was serious or just making a not-so-comical scene about not identifying which pocket his wallet was in, however, it soon became apparent that his wallet was indeed missing. Initially I briefly considered the possibility that he might have suspected me as the pickpocket and thus directed the earlier conversation towards me. Once we were back on the bus though he repeated his commen...
Has anyone ever danced on the ceiling?