Skip to main content

Payam Banifaz is an Iranian actor and comedian out of Los Angeles. He was born in Tehran and immigrated to the US with his family at the age of 8. Some of his credits include a recurring role on Shameless as well as roles on Veep, Silicon Valley, Brooklyn Nine-Nine as well as many others.


"My whole family is from Tabriz. So when I was growing up, most of what I remember is the war, unfortunately. And yeah, so like, you know, a lot of the stuff that was happening in, like, Ukraine,
a lot of the footage of, like, people sort of huddled in cellars and like huddled in like subways. Like that really took me back and to my own childhood because I remember before we left Iran like four days a week, we were just in our cellar, in our apartment complex during the bomb ratings. Yeah, I completely remember that too.

"I remember going with my mom and the dad and stuff to this like friendly soccer match between the Iran national team and the U.S. And there was like people in the stands holding like signs regarding like the hostage crisis of the 80s and like, and this was in the 90s. So this is like 10 years removed from that. And just like Iranians go home and stuff like that. And that was the first time I'd ever experienced like racism or culturalism in that way.

"I'll never forget. We were having dinner at a restaurant, and my dad was asking plans about law school. It was like, when you got to take your L-Sat, this dad, and then I just kind of got quiet. And he's like, what's your problem? And I was like, I've made a decision. I think I want to, you know, want to be an actor. And then he kind of just like paused. And then he was just like, I think you've lost your mind. He's like, I think you've literally gone crazy finally. And he was extremely disappointed and upset. He was just like, he really thought I lost my mind. He's like, are you crazy? Like, he's like, it was like nobody wants to see someone like he's like the sad part is no one wants to see someone like you on TV. They don't want to see us."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My parents, brother, and I left Iran in 1980, shortly after the revolution. After a brief stay in Italy, we packed all our belongings once again and headed west to the exotic and the unknown: Vancouver. We had recently been accepted as landed immigrants, meaning Canada graciously opened its doors and we gratefully accepted; we arrived at Vancouver International Airport on my 10th birthday, three suitcases and one sewing machine in tow. After respectful but intense questioning at immigration, we were dropped off at a hotel on Robson Street, which was then still a couple years shy of becoming the fashionable tourist hub it is today. We were jetlagged, culture shocked, and hungry, so that first night, my father and brother courageously ventured out into the wild in search of provisions. I fell asleep before they returned. The next morning, I woke up at 5 a.m. and ravenously feasted on a cold Quarter Pounder with cheese and limp French fries that had been left by my beds...
One day I took the minibus back from school. It was completely packed yet I somehow managed to squeeze myself in. I knew sooner or later some people would get off and per the unwritten rule of busses and minibuses everyone would gradually move towards the end of the bus and thus save me from getting crushed against the door. We had only travelled a short distance when the minibus stopped to let some passengers off. Another passenger and I stepped down to allow them to pass and as we stood there the passenger suddenly exclaimed, “What happened to my wallet? Did someone just steal it?” I wasn’t sure if he was serious or just making a not-so-comical scene about not identifying which pocket his wallet was in, however, it soon became apparent that his wallet was indeed missing. Initially I briefly considered the possibility that he might have suspected me as the pickpocket and thus directed the earlier conversation towards me. Once we were back on the bus though he repeated his commen...
Has anyone ever danced on the ceiling?