Skip to main content

Raised and educated on the East Coast, Dr. Matt Rostami decided he didn’t want to endure the cold or high taxes, so he moved to Texas to start his own medical practice. Before medical school, he majored in Middle Eastern studies at Rutgers University in New Jersey. 


He went viral mocking Muslims at a heated McKinney mosque meeting returned to City Hall —but this time, he dropped the fake beard and oversized turban. He removed the same beard and turban he used during his previous appearance, when he leaned into exaggerated stereotypes about Muslims, Sharia law and immigration. The bit drew boos along with shouts from members of the public to "go back home," before a McKinney City Council ultimately (and unanimously) approved the mosque project 7-0. 

"The video was satire for those of you who didn't get it," he told council members and the public before showing his real face. "I know it looks funny because I make it look funny, but yeah that was me last week."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My parents, brother, and I left Iran in 1980, shortly after the revolution. After a brief stay in Italy, we packed all our belongings once again and headed west to the exotic and the unknown: Vancouver. We had recently been accepted as landed immigrants, meaning Canada graciously opened its doors and we gratefully accepted; we arrived at Vancouver International Airport on my 10th birthday, three suitcases and one sewing machine in tow. After respectful but intense questioning at immigration, we were dropped off at a hotel on Robson Street, which was then still a couple years shy of becoming the fashionable tourist hub it is today. We were jetlagged, culture shocked, and hungry, so that first night, my father and brother courageously ventured out into the wild in search of provisions. I fell asleep before they returned. The next morning, I woke up at 5 a.m. and ravenously feasted on a cold Quarter Pounder with cheese and limp French fries that had been left by my beds...
One day I took the minibus back from school. It was completely packed yet I somehow managed to squeeze myself in. I knew sooner or later some people would get off and per the unwritten rule of busses and minibuses everyone would gradually move towards the end of the bus and thus save me from getting crushed against the door. We had only travelled a short distance when the minibus stopped to let some passengers off. Another passenger and I stepped down to allow them to pass and as we stood there the passenger suddenly exclaimed, “What happened to my wallet? Did someone just steal it?” I wasn’t sure if he was serious or just making a not-so-comical scene about not identifying which pocket his wallet was in, however, it soon became apparent that his wallet was indeed missing. Initially I briefly considered the possibility that he might have suspected me as the pickpocket and thus directed the earlier conversation towards me. Once we were back on the bus though he repeated his commen...
Has anyone ever danced on the ceiling?